Wednesday, September 23, 2009

September 19, 2009 A Majestic Encounter

On Saturday morning, I got up early. It was still dark. I got my coffee and cameras and went out to wait for the morning.

Most of us have spent little time outside, alone, in the dark. If you are very quiet you can hear all sorts of things and can only guess what they are. I personally have a great imagination so I think of lions, tigers and bears but in reality they are deer, raccoons, birds and maybe a coyote. Near the water you may hear a fish plop out of the water. It is actually very quiet at 5 in the morning.

Slowly you begin to see the outlines of the trees and the sky lightens and daylight falls onto the lake.

Randy woke up around 6:30 and joined me outside and brought more coffee.

Around 9:00 we heard what we initially thought was a hawk and later Randy caught a glimpse of a large bird land in a tree not far from us. We eased up the hill and found a spot were the bird could be seen. I had brought my camera and tripod, naturally. I was so excited to get a photo of a hawk but even more excitement came when I discovered the hawk was actually an Eagle.
WOW! I was shocked. We spent the next several hours photographing the male and female eagles. Last year, someone told us eagles had been released here but I never thought I would get to see them. When the boats started running up and down the lake, they disappeared. It was a great encounter.

No comments: